Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Open Letter to Bart Gordon: One More for the Health Care Road

As spring struggles to regain its footing after a winter to remember, Democrats are reawakening, stepping up their involvement in local, statewide, and national issues. This week, though I’ve tried to refocus on the up and coming in my garden and the news, my mind is still very much on the unfinished business of health insurance reform.

So, I am sharing with my readers an open-letter I penned to Congressman Bart Gordon. He’s your Congressman if you live here in Sumner County and if you support health insurance reform, don't let yourself feel outnumbered. He hears from all sides of the issues, and I know he’d like to hear from you too. (Washington202-225-4231 Gallatin 451-5174)

Dear Congressman Gordon,

I'm writing to let you know that I strongly support health insurance reform. But you already know that. I sat with you in your Gallatin office and we talked about how difficult it is for people to understand the complexity and enormity of our current system and the necessity to address it as a whole. We regretted that this is made especially difficult when so many of your constituents have been whipped by fear into incoherence.

I want you to know how grateful I am for your service over the years, and I respect your decision to retire after this session. I have a six year old too; they grow too fast and you shouldn’t miss it.

I'm grateful for all the hard work you’ve done for your constituents, especially when you did what was right despite strong opposition and stood with the President to create as many as 3.9 million jobs with the Recovery Act. That vote alone sets you aside from the Washington Hypocrites that voted to obstruct our Nation’s economic recovery, but attend every ribbon cutting, every job training center opening, and take glory for every bit of that funding flowing into our state and regions directly from this measure.

I know the Health Care Reform Bill that is at hand now is not perfect. The "perfect" bill for some would be a much more aggressive series of changes. The "perfect" for others is to do nothing, no change at all. I would posit that the Do-Nothing crowd has gotten their way long enough. That doing nothing is the perfect choice only for those profiting from business as usual. And doing nothing is what has gotten us to the state we are in: a perfect mess.

I agree with Natoma Canfield, whose private insurance got so expensive that she had to drop it, right before she was diagnosed with leukemia. She said in a TV interview from her hospital bed, "Well, it just seems to me that everything needs a start."

Yes, everything needs a start and health insurance reform in this country needs this start. So now, at the end of your political career that has started so many very very good things, you can set in motion one more lasting legacy for my family, your family, and the rest of your constituents. Vote yes to pass the Health Insurance Reform Bill that is now before you in Congress. Stand with the President, with your party, and with the majority of Americans who voted for the Democrats to start America back on the road to strength, unity, and health.

With Sincere Respect,

Maria Brewer

No comments:

Post a Comment